Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Swim lessons... The joys...

Yes.. I have the kid who doesn't go under water.. It kills me!!

I grew up at the pool. Spent hours (8+) each day during the summer at the pool since both parents worked. We loved it! We had the choice to leave at lunch or stay all day.

 I worked snack bar when I was old enough, then coached swim team and lifeguarded. I guarded/coached all through high school and college. Do you know how many kids I taught to swim?  I'm now the Youth and Recreation Director at the country club where I run the POOL (and summer camps and a million other things).

The pool. My life 80+ hrs per week in the summer. And there's Burke. The non-swimmer. Well, after a summer of playing in the pool and not going under it was time for lessons. I tried the best instructors (at BCC of course) and nothing worked so it was time. I had to pay and commit. I heard great things about VT lessons so we tried. F.A.I. L. (Not sure it was Burkes fault.. They were good week one. Then it was bad. BAD! so next CAC. I know the people who run it. I've known them for a long time.  We're colleagues, friends. Surely it would be great! F.A.I.L. We tried to sign up for another session but they had a waiting list. So BAC was next... Last chance before summer!! It had to work. Burke is almost 4! I don't care if he can swim the length of the pool, go off the board or even the slide. I just want him to know boundaries and how to save himself. BAC = S.U.C.C.E.S.S. we still have 4 more lessons but I have a little boy who goes under!! I teach lessons, I'm WSI certified and I can tell you there is no point in lessons until your kid goes underwater. Just take them to the pool and play until they figure if out! No, I didn't listen to myself, but of course he taught himself in the bathtub and I guarantee he'll be swimming this summer. Success :) and he's so happy and proud. And don't worry... He's almost already taught Campbell!

No comments:

Post a Comment